Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Where's the brakes on this thing?


One thing I've found from owning a car, is that things go wrong and those things cost money. So every now and then when someone else says "I think there's something wrong with you're van", my response is "Eh it's probably nothing."

In this case my brake light had been on for quite some time. Over time the problem got worse. I'm not sure I would have noticed it, if my dad hadn't driven it. He noted that in order for the brakes to 'actually work' you had to push further than you're supposed to. When there's a problem with the brakes, it can be a BIG problem. (Course everyone knows that.)



We as humans have a built in "brake" system that helps tell us when we're about to do something wrong. It's better known as our conscience or our moral compass. As we grow closer to God and dig into the bible that moral compass gets more and more accurate. But it has a weakness. When we do something wrong and get away with it, when a second opportunity comes up the red flags aren't as strong. So it's easier to not stop. Before long you're whole "brake system" is messed up but someone else might notice before you do. 

1 John 3:6 - No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. 

That's heavy, but that's why we have to keep our brakes in check. And constantly monitor our attitudes and actions. 



Lord help separate me from the sin that tempts me each day. Keep me in check and help me to keep my eyes on you. 

Until next time, continue to make ripples from pebbles. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment