Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Rippling beneath the Surface

"Are you  ready? You'll want to hold your nose. Joseph I baptize you in the name of..." Those were the last words I heard before I was dunked under the surface of the lake.  With it being at the park, it wasn't as cold as it could have been. In fact the weather was pretty near perfect. (Yes that's my shoe.) It didn't occur to me till afterwards just how pretty that spot is. I've been a Christian since my early teens, but wasn't baptized till  a couple weeks ago. So why now? In part because it had never been done. That was mostly due to not fully understanding what it was/why it's necessary etc. It wasn't really promoted much and it didn't come around very often. At this point in my ministry journey I decided it was important to go ahead even though it was so much later. For one because I knew I would be encouraging others to make the same step. I also realized that baptism is an important action in our faith. Why is something that gets you wet and only lasts a couple minutes so important?

Facts about baptism:

  • The practice of baptism is continued today out of obedience to what Christ asks us to do. 
  • If you've been baptized it's not necessary to do so again. (Even if wandered away, or if it was done as a baby.) However you can renew your baptism vows as you would marriage vows. (Water isn't essential the second time.) 
  • You don't have to "prove your a christian" before you're baptized. Baptism is simply an outward expression showing that you've made an inward decision. Growth and transformation will happen over time, not a requirement for baptism.

Here's a Q&A about Baptism from Whitehorse Church of the Nazarene
 (not connected in any way with this blog. Given as a resource for more information.)

I love the beauty in the picture above. The trees changing, the sky color, but also the ripples in the water from the baptism in action. I've experienced God's comfort in so many situations, and I know I wouldn't be able to do any of this without him. My prayer is that he continues to make ripples through my ministry, None of this is about me, it's all for God's glory. I'll just keep throwing one pebble at a time, and see how far God takes the ripples.

No comments:

Post a Comment